I asked ChatGPT, an AI chat bot, "What are the top 5 ways to open a locked vehicle?" and below is the response (along with my response to each recommendation!)
ChatGPT: If you find yourself in a situation where you've locked your keys in your car, you may be feeling frustrated and helpless. Fortunately, there are several ways you can try to open a locked vehicle, ranging from simple tricks to more complex methods. Here are the top five ways to open a locked vehicle:
- Use a coat hanger: This classic method involves using a wire coat hanger to unlock your car door. First, straighten out the hanger and create a hook at one end. Then, insert the hook into the top of the car door, near the lock, and try to catch the lock mechanism. Once you've caught it, wiggle the hanger around until the lock pops open.Should you use a coathanger to unlock a car door? We'll first of all, do you even have a wire coathanger available? Sure this method may work if you but with the style of moden vehicle locks and anti-theft features this method is not as easy as it may have been with the old style door locks.
- Use a wedge: If you have a door wedge, you can use it to create a gap between the car door and the frame. This will allow you to insert a tool, such as a flathead screwdriver, to manipulate the lock mechanism. To use a wedge, simply slide it between the door and the frame until it creates a wide enough gap.Using a wedget to create a cap in your door frame may enable you to reach a tool into the vehicle to unlock the door (not sure about using a flathead screwdriver though!) But you do need to be carful to not damage the door, the weather sealing, scratch the vehicle or break a window.
- Use a slim jim: A slim jim is a specialized tool that is designed to unlock car doors. It consists of a thin, flat piece of metal with a hooked end. To use a slim jim, you'll need to insert it into the gap between the window and the door, and then use the hooked end to catch the lock mechanism. This method can be tricky, so it's best to practice on a similar car before attempting it on your own.I do not recommend using a slimjim to unlock the door on any modern style vehicle. It won't work on may and you may damage elecrical components or vehcile saftey features such as the air bag in the door!
- Use a shoestring: If you don't have a coat hanger or a slim jim on hand, you may be able to use a shoestring to unlock your car. To do this, tie a simple knot in the shoestring, and then insert it into the lock mechanism through the keyhole. Next, gently pull on the string to try to unlock the door.A shoestring through the keyhole? LOL! If you have a keyhole in your car door lock, go for it! But even through a crack in the window I dobt you'll have much luck unlocking the door unless you're able to hook and pull a door handle.
- Call a locksmith: If none of the above methods work, your best option may be to call a professional locksmith. A locksmith will have the tools and expertise to unlock your car without damaging it, and can often arrive quickly to help you out. Just be prepared to pay a fee for their services.Being a locksmith company of course I'm going to agree with #5...ha! But if you are looking for the best option to unlocking a vehcile and getting back in without damaging the vehilce then yes, call us! We not only have the tools and experience to quickly open locked doors but we can also provide additional services suce as repairing locks and ignitions and making replacement car keys if needed.
ChatGPT: In conclusion, if you find yourself locked out of your car, there are several ways you can try to unlock it. From using a coat hanger or wedge to calling a locksmith, there are options for every situation. Just be sure to use caution when attempting to open your car, as you don't want to damage the lock or the door.
Discount Locksmith: In conclusion, if you find yourself locked out of your are - call us now at 855-766-8899
There are a few methods for opening a locked vehicle. Watch the video above from "Free Locksmith Training" to see a quick and simple method of unlocking a vehicle door.