Imagine this scenario: you’re headed out for an important meeting or a long-awaited road trip, and when you insert the key into your car’s ignition, it just won’t turn. Perhaps the key gets stuck, or maybe it won’t go in at all. Ignition lock issues can be frustrating and stressful, but fear not! In this article, we will explore some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve ignition lock problems.
- Check the Key. Before assuming an issue with the ignition lock, inspect your key. Over time, keys can become worn or damaged, leading to difficulties when inserting or turning them in the ignition. Examine your key for signs of wear, such as bent or jagged edges. If you notice any damage, it might be time to get a new key cut or contact your car dealer for a replacement.
- Lubricate the Lock. Another common cause of ignition lock issues is a lack of lubrication. Over time, dirt, debris, or lack of use can cause the lock cylinder to become dry, making it difficult for the key to turn smoothly. Applying a graphite-based lubricant to the lock can help improve its functionality. Be cautious not to use any liquid-based lubricants as they can attract dirt and create more problems.
- Wiggle the Steering Wheel. Sometimes, the ignition lock can get stuck due to a tension lock mechanism tied to the steering wheel. If you find that your key won’t turn, try gently wiggling the steering wheel left and right while attempting to turn the key at the same time. This action may release the tension and allow the key to turn freely.
- Utilize a Spare Key. If you have access to a spare key for your vehicle, give it a try. In some cases, a specific key may have worn down more than another, causing issues in turning the lock. Switching to a different key might solve the problem.
- Seek Professional Assistance. If you’ve tried all these steps and your vehicle’s ignition lock still refuses to cooperate, it’s time to call in the professionals. An experienced mobile locksmith can quickly diagnose and fix the issue, ensuring
At Discount Locksmith, we pride ourselves in providing professional emergency locksmith service day & night to help in your time of need. Not only can our technicians repair broken ignition locks, but they can also replace broken car keys on the spot!